Friday, September 5, 2014

blog hop! (meet the artists)

Anjuli Johnson of The Far Pavilion asked me to be a part of a blog hop. I know Anjuli from a mixed media art group over on google+. She uses a lot of quilling in her work, which is super cool, but you will never see me do it, because I lack the patience to try it.

I worked my way back through a bunch of blog links and this blog hop has featured artists all over the world. We each answer the same questions and then introduce you to two new artists.

How does my creative process work?

I try to make art everyday, whether I feel like it or not. I do something. Last year, when I challenged myself to make #art365, I completed 216 works. That doesn't count the little sketches, and that counts printmaking editions as a single work. 216! I got a lot accomplished. This year I'm a little easier on myself. I'm still working on art every day, but if I spend the day matting and framing for a show, I don't give myself a guilt trip until I make some new art. Anyone who is truly working, and not just dabbling, knows there is a lot of behind the scenes work, admin work, prep work, which isn't actually creating. And yet it is necessary. This is pretty much a mantra for me: One day I will have a studio assistant. (or two!) 


What's on the easel right now. I'm writing this post while layers dry.
I know it doesn't look like much yet.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Genre is a little tricky for me. I had two really divergent bodies of work, and I made on conscious effort to bring them together. And then I started the #art365 challenge, which made a lot of small abstract landscapes which weren't really related to the rest of my work and then printmaking happened... I try to follow my inspiration. That being said, I do think in terms of creating cohesive bodies of work. My work is emotionally driven and color has always played an important role in my work. And, I think (at least I hope) that when you see them all, you do see a thread connecting them, even though all the work is not the same. 


willow, gouache, 4" x 6" #art365

What am I working on now?

I'm working on a series now which I call #art365:heartland. The small abstract landscapes I was working on became more complex this winter. This had a lot to do with a change in media - from acrylic to gouache. Two different artists, one of whom is Cathal who you will 'meet' shortly, commented on the depth of the pieces. (One of his comments was something along the lines of: I bet she knows all the good places to hide bodies.) I then started making these landscape pieces bigger, and on canvas, and that became the heartland series. There's a lot of layering, which yields really rich darks and lights which glow. These are real places. Nature is wild and messy. It grows where it can. 


waiting on a change, acrylic, 16" x 16" #art365: heartland

Why do I do what I do?

Making art keeps me almost sane.


And onto the introductions...

I got to know both of these artists through google+, and I have to say it's pretty amazing that I never would have met them any other way, and now we are following each other all over the internets.

Julia Spencer describes her work as Beauty out of Chaos. I first got to know Julia's work in the same mixed media group where I met Anjuli. She seemed to be looking for her voice, and has since found it. Her work is full of gratitude, hope, endurance, and love. She draws and paints (usually together) and is quite a good photographer. Find her on google +, facebook, twitterinstagram.


Coming Undone, Julia Spencer
Cathal Lindsay is a non-representational painter, and I don't know quite how I connected with him, other than it was on g+. He pretty firmly had my attention when working on a series inspired by Piranesi. His current series are procedural works, where he lists a set of rules and paints according to the roll of a die. He posts a lot of in progress photos, so you can watch how a particular piece evolves. Find him on google+, facebook, twitter, and his website.


Procedural Painting V1.0.1, Cathal Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've found you through Cathal Lindsay's blog hopping link & I started following him through Abby Markov.
    I'm a new liker of yours & I really enjoyed reading about you. I hope to keep up with you thru your fb page, as time permits.
    I loved your 'waiting for a change' acrylic..it just jumped out at me & grabbed me..there's just something about it that really pulls me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Andy, somehow I missed seeing this comment earlier. Thank you so much for your kind words. I recognized your name as new to my facebook page. Welcome!

      Delete